SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 03-29-2009 Thread Starter
Maine Sail
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLegg View Post
1. How would you deal with a 6" wide, dark blue painted strip on a white hull? The painted strip is about 3" down from the toerail. Would you tape if off and do it separately or could you compound it at the same time as the topsides?
This is always a tricky situation. The paint will likely have some oxidation if a one part paint. If it is oxidized the blue paint will come off on your pad and be spread into the white gelcoat making for quite a mess of the pad and hull. If the stripe is Awlgrip it should not be buffed anyway.

I would advise taping over it with 2" wide blue masking tape then buffing the hull. When you're done the hull tape off the white above and below and buff the blue but only if it is not Awlgrip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLegg View Post
2. I bought a Makita 9227C. Would you recommend getting the 3M-05711 Hookit™ SBS Compounding Pad to use with the hook and loop backup pad that comes with the Makita? Or would you suggest getting the 3M-05710 Mandrel Adapter and using double sided compounding pads such as a 3M-05703?
Thanks for the help.
I use both systems. I like the hook & loop for polishing and the double sided pads and mandrel for compounding. Sorry for the non-answer on this one..

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome