SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice on Small Kayak Brands
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 03-31-2009
Faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornsey View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Do you find they are easy to get into and out of from your boats? Seems like there might be a few moments of instability when you are essentially standing up in them?
Practice, practice, practice!! I can get in and out most places without incident, my wife is less comfy with the manouver, and prefers to get in and out off the stern ladder.

The key to this, as with any such craft, is to keep your weight centered in the boat. These plastic kayaks such as we're discussing are very beamy for their length, and as such are relatively stable, but still can be flipped by a careless move. Some like to use a paddle across the boat to evenly transfer your weight, but we've found that stepping into the middle, keeping your weight as centered over your feet as possible, and once "standing/squatting" in the boat sit down smoothly and quickly.

I've flipped ours once when trying to land on a steep rocky beach with a stern line in hand (and got a mitt full of barnacle scratches to boot - painful and bled like crazy), and my wife has managed to dump herself a couple of times getting in and off from the boat, but lately she's got the hang of it.

If you get the kayaks, and want to get some pointers/demos let us know and we'll meet you somewhere if you like!

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome