SailNet Community - View Single Post - My new radar pole..up and runing!!!
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 04-30-2009
Valiente

Alex...that is an exceptional piece of work and a very nice installation. I hope you have many years of sailing in fog so you can get used to how the radar works!

May I make one suggestion? If you run a skinny length of Dyneema from the top of the pole to the stern rail as a sort of emergency lanyard, you will have a safe way not only to lower the pole to the dock from the cockpit once you've removed those supports, but if the carbon fibre pole should fail at any point, you would have a way to haul in or otherwise secure the radome back aboard the boat. A quite thin length of Dyneema would do, because it would only have to support the weight of part of the pole, the gimbal and the dome...for Dyneema, that means the width of string.

I too want to know if you have gone out beyond the breakwater and tried to cook the lunches of your friends in the Marina..."No, don't put on a sweater, just stand there while I tune my new radar..."

Can't sleep? Read my countdown to voyaging blog @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome