SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wow! Pinta's Helmsman is Great!
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 06-16-2009 Thread Starter
Winderlust

Valiente,

I don't know how I missed your excellent explanation to my, now, old post about Slocum's magical success at self steering stability. It has recently been re-activated and I now have re-read your response. It's first rate.

Among other things, you said:

"The key is to forget about completely untended self-steering entirely and to instead focus on very simple feedback systems to the tiller (sorry, but these ideas really like a tiller!). Probably the simplest is attaching the jib sheet to the tiller in conjunction with shock cord, aka "bungee cord". The best explanations I saw of this is in Tony Meisel's "Singlehanding: A Sailor's Guide" and his somewhat similar "Manual of Singlehanded Sailing"

SINGLEHANDING - A Sailor's Guide - By Tony Meisel - Hardback Book
Meisel, TonyA MANUAL OF SINGLEHANDED SAILING"

SD had another good book selection: Henderson. I will now look for the Meisel and Henderson books, thank you both.

I'm a year away from committing to a boat purchase. Which is to say I have all the time in the world to change my mind about type. One apple of my eye is the Cape George 36', which is a tiller. I'm more used to a wheel. However 25 years ago I did have a Montgomery 17' and now my yacht is a 10' Gig Harbor dink/sloop. How do I break the idea that tillers are for tenders?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome