SailNet Community - View Single Post - Presta Compound/Polish Products - Amazing!
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 07-06-2009 Thread Starter
labatt
I'd rather be sailing

We put the Collinite #885 on today and Pelican looks amazing. I didn't think she could ever look this way! Anyway, for a 40 foot boat we used slightly under 1gal of the Gel Coat Compound, 1/4 of a gal of the Ultra Cutting Creme and one container of the Collinite paste. We used two of the black pads from Presta plus a quick pad connector for the compounding and 3 of the white 3M 05713 buffing pads for the polishing. We could have used fewer pads but we didn't want to take the time to clean them. We used the Makita 9227CX3 polisher/sander for the actual work. We used a ton of lint free cloths for cleaning up the residual compound (we wet our hull during the compounding so there was a lot of splatter and residue). The polish didn't leave much of a residue since we ran at a much higher speed on the Makita so only needed minimal cleanup. We used circlular lint free applicators for the waxing in addition to more lint free cloths. We used both 3M green and 3M blue tape to cover our boot stripe and our rubrail during the compounding and polish. It took us a day per side for the compounding, one day total for the polishing and about 3-4 hours for the waxing. If anyone has any questions, please let me know! It is WELL WORTH THE TIME!!!

s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob *****in'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome