SailNet Community - View Single Post - girlfriend/wife hates sailing
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-20-2009 Thread Starter
ikrieger

girlfriend/wife hates sailing

Over the weekend I discovered my girlfriend actually doesn't like sailing. "I pray for bad weather on the weekends" were here words.

I've tried to introduce her slowly to sailing by not going out in bad weather and keeping the trips short to about 1 hour sometimes organized around events like fireworks, or the airshow to keep it interesting. I don't ask her to go a lot, maybe 2-3 per month. We have a 2 yr. old and admittedly she has to watch her most of the time which I know is hard. So... any suggestions.

I was thinking of making it more a date thing where we keep the kid at home and I can teach her sailing and then when we go out I can watch the our daughter while she helms. She also has a competitive nature so maybe racing on another boat with other people men/women would help her gain interest.

I grew up sailing with my family and wanted to do the same with our new family, but it seems that all may be lost. If she has anxiety about the prospect of going sailing, let alone actually sailing.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome