SailNet Community - View Single Post - girlfriend/wife hates sailing
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 07-20-2009
padean
Seattle Sailor

What worked for me was to get my wife involved through a series of classes through our local sailing club. Sometimes the "first mate" doesn't like sailing because they either don't understand what is happening, or don't feel involved, or both. This was the case with my wife, and it was an absolute DISASTER for me to try and teach her. Now she not only enjoys sailing on our boat, but does the club races on another boat and enjoys both. We also took a weekend course together (without kids) which gave her more confidence. Before that she hated to go out.

Alternatively, some people just don't like to sail. If that is the case, you can often allow her to have an enjoyable time doing something else, such as sun bathing, or even reading while enjoying the peace of the sailboat. Having to watch over a 2 yr old on a boat is NOT a fun thing to do for a mother, with the boat rocking and tipping, and the child wanting to do whatever seems the least save or smart.

PDean
CS 34
Seattle, WA
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome