North Channel - Lake Huron
I plan to spend the second and third weeks of July in the North Channel/Georgian Bay on Lake Huron aboard my H40.5 CATALYST. Those of you that have cruised the area may be able to help me prep for the trip. A few points I am trying to work out:
1) I''d love to borrow or rent a C-Map of area; Lake Huron. We have a Raymarine RC320 chart plotter, it takes the small and thin black rectangle cards (I think all CMAP cards are like this).
2) We draw 5'' and would like to anchor as well as dock at a few marinas along the way. We''re coming from Toledo Beach Marina in La Salle, MI/Lake Erie. I know of nice places from my marina to Port Huron, but north of there is a mystery to me.
3) Where should we go? I''ve seen a few pictures of nice, pristine areas in the N.C, but don''t know where they are. Any good web sites?
4) Is anyone heading that way? I know it''s a popular time to cruise up there. We''d like to find another boat to go with.
5) From Port Huron, is there a preferred route? Any reason not to sail through the night? From prior experience, how many days from Port Huron until I get to see some rugged but beautiful places?
6) Anyone know of cheap mooring around Port Huron (say within 40 miles of there)? We''re thinking of staging the boat there a week before we take the trip, so we can enjoy more time in the N.C, rather than transiting.
Feel free to reply here or email us at [email protected]