SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding to and from the dock
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 08-16-2005
jlmarra
Sailor Dance

Singlehanding to and from the dock

I have not tried to singlehand into and out of our slip yet. Our slip has a 5.5 tidal range between tides. We dock bow in, the floating finger pier is about 2/3''s the length of our 35 LOA boat. The bowsprit usually overhangs the main dock by about 16". The finger pier is to port and usually this is the windward side. When my wife and I come into our slip we come up the narrow channel and turn to port into our slip. We have lines and fenders rigged. I steer the boat in and my wife stands just forward of amidships with a spring line attached to midship cleat. The other end of this line she ties off to the toerail so she has a loop which she throws over the cleat at the end of our finger pier. While she''s taking in the slack I at this point have the engine in reverse to stop the boat. Once she has that line cleated we secure the rest of the lines. Since we have no outer piling only the one at the end of the floating finger (It would be hard to get a line over at low tide) pier singlehanding into would be a nerve racking experience. Did I mention that the there are no pilings that separate us from the boat in the next slip. His finger pier is on his starboard side. We rig fenders on both side. We are usually dealing with a crosswind across the port side when coming in.

John
S/V Sailor Dance

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome