SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Fuel filter/water separator

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Maine Sail 
#1 ·
I’m repowering a A-4 (gas) to a Beta 16 diesel. The Beta manual sez to put in a water separator. Got it but nowadays nobody sells just water separators. They’re all combined filters/separators unit like the ubiquitous RACOR 500FG. By happenstance in the my garage's piles of boat stuff There’s a Perkins “sedimenter” which looks and smells like just the right thing… no filter just separates the water. The Beta has a pretty robust spin-on filter on the engine so using the Perkins unit seems a good fit. But…. some in the know say to add a RACOR anyway because the cost of replacing spin on filters and it gives double filtration. But if I did I’d be replacing both filters annually. Is adding a second in-line filter adding value when the engine filter is a robust one? Would a separator-only and maybe a vacuume gage on the engine filter do just as well? What say you?

#2 ·
On engine filters are classified as secondary filters and should supplemented by another (Primary) filter. The on engine filters are manufacturer specified to protect the engines fuel injection system and will trap particles down to approx. 10 microns, they are of small capacity and if fed with 'bad' fuel can block-up very quickly. The use of a larger 'Primary filter' with water separator with a filter size of 30 or 50 microns will catch a majority of the gunk and water that will stop your engine and ultimately damage your fuel system. They can also be located where they can be serviced much more easily than most manufacturer supplied on-engine oil filters

#3 ·
Fuel Filters

I am in total agreement with the previous post. The spin on filters on the engine are not intended to be the primary filter. Add a good 30 micron filter/water seperator in an easy to get to location, and it will simplify your life.
If the Beta doesn't have an electric fuel pump, add one at the tank. You may never need it, but if you do, one time will be well worth the cost.

#4 ·
The most expensive part of the diesel engine is the high pressure fuel pump. The most sensitive component to fuel contamination on the engine is the high pressure fuel pump. Protect your engine from contaminated fuel and with proper oil changes, it will easily last over 5,000 hrs. Fuel filter/ seperators can be found under $100 and installed in under an hour. For an extra $40 you should be able to find a vacuum gage with tell-tail pointer to alert you to when the filter needs to be changed.

#9 ·
You're spending good money on a new engine and being penny wise and pound foolish rarely wins in the end. The "ubiquitous" Racor 500 series is ubiquitous for a reason, it is a great filter.

You really need to know what nominal the nominal micron rating of the secondary filter is. If the on-engine filter is a 3µM you'll want a 10µM primary. If the on-engine is a 10µM or a 15µM then you'll want a 30µM filter..

Parker/Racor also makes a less expensive spin on line of filters than the 500 series....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.