SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you charter an old boat?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-28-2009 Thread Starter
billbalme

Would you charter an old boat?

I've come up with a bit of a hair-brained idea - bear with me...

We're thinking of sailing down to the BVI's next fall, leaving the boat there and self-chartering it, then sailing her back in May the following year.

The scheme would allow us to gain a couple of ocean voyages prior to setting off on a circumnavigation in 2012.

The obvious downside is that we'd be chartering our pride and joy - which happens to be an old Crealock 37 - risking the boat with people we don't know who could do significant damage just prior to our long term departure.

Thought occurs that perhaps I can mitigate that risk by only chartering to people I personally know - or to people who are vested in Pacific Seacrafts - you lot!

Our aim in chartering is to recover the costs of her lying in the BVI's - we're still working stiffs so have limited time off. We can take a vacation to get her down there one year and then a vacation the following year to bring her back. We don't have the time to do both in one vacation. So chartering would be a means to paying the costs and perhaps supplementing the kitty just a little - rather than a major money making scheme.

I wonder if anyone here a) thinks it's a reasonable idea and b) would be interested in chartering my old boat for a week of R&R in the BVI's...

Bill
s/v Toodle-oo!
PSC 37 #148

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome