SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Novice sailor needs help identifying boat

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  maRaider 
#1 · (Edited)
Last year, I decided to buy a small day sailer and take some lessons from the local yacht club. I bought the sailboat via craigslist, and the seller had refurbished the entire boat. He thought the boat was a Chrysler Dagger 1977 vintage, but after some research I do not believe this is accurate.

I have not been able to find the right make and model for the marking on my mainsail, nor have I found any hulls which look like mine. I have searched diligently, but cannot find a hull id. The boat is still in winter storage, so I am unable to provide any true dimensions, but I do have some pictures I will attempt to attach.

Details of the boat: It is fiberglass, and it's mast (19' I think) has no shrouds and when it is removed from the boat it can be separated into 2 pieces. The mainsail is not hoisted by a halyard, but has a sleeve into which the mast slides.
2/3 of the way up the mast is a block for the jib halyard. (Forgive my jargon if it is incorrect).
It has a hatch in the stern of the boat, with a loose-fitting cover. It has a daggerboard made from marine plywood, and the rudder from the same material.
It can seat 2-3 people comfortably with built-in benches in the hull.

See less See more
#2 ·
Photos would really help. Preferably a good profile and 3/4 view. Is there a HIN number on the starboard side of the transom?

#3 · (Edited)
I added a link to a pic of the mainsail and jib

Unfortunately the shadows tend to fall right on the sail symbol, so a bit hard to tell.

I thought I attached a few pictures to the original message, but apparently not.

I can forward pictures via email or if someone can guide me to making them visible on this site.

I cannot locate a hull id anywhere on the outside of the boat, however it occurs to me I have not exhaustively checked inside the stern hatch, but that seems an odd spot to place a Hull ID plate.

#8 ·
Not a dagger...here's a photo of a Chrysler dagger.

Note: the dagger doesn't have a shearwater on the foredeck.

#9 ·
I looked at several collections of sail logos like this one, and that one isn't listed. Sorry.

#10 ·
Cute boat. Reminds me of my 'Viking' 14' day sailor that was made sometime in the 50's - one of the first fiberglass boats. Your boat looks much newer then my day sailor.
It is quite possible that the main sail from one of Sailingdog's Daggers was put on your boat.
I think that your boat is a Chrysler Lone Star 13 as seen here: Lone Star 13 sailboat for sale

#12 ·
It was the closest hull match I could find with limited searching. At least it has the shear water or splash guard on the deck. I still think it might be a Chrysler hull. The 'Dagger' was another variety of Chrysler's boat works of similar size while they were still making boats.
How is your T27 coming along? We splash in on 4/10. Yikes!

#13 ·
I don't believe it is a Chrysler Dagger sail, as you can see the Chrysler Dagger sail mark spells out the word "Dagger" in the outline of a knife, but the marking on my sail has no embedded letters. Also, the sail on the Chrysler Dagger picture does not have a sleeve which slides over the mast.

The Chrysler Lone Star looks closer to my hull, but the deck is substantially different from the pic I am posting here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.