SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
post #43 of Old 03-29-2010
capteos

Send a message via AIM to capteos
Question Cal 22 Headsail Furler

The furling unit that I inherited with my 1985 Cal 22 seems to be missing something.

The extruded aluminum segments have two gruves on one side to accomodate a number 6 size Luft Tape and another gruve on the opposite side to accomodate a 3/16 dia halyard and a hole down the middle of the extrusion to pass the head stay wire.

The extruded segments just butt up to each other and the only thing that can keep the groves aligned is the 3/16 halyard on one side and the headsail luft tape on the other with the head stay wire providing the axis for rotation.

There is a little plastic THING at the top of the upper most segment that provides a guide for the 3/16 halyard (that is attached to the sail head) to make its 180 degree turn and then goes down the aft gruve of all the segments to the drum.

Question: - Am I missing some parts, like something that goes in and between the segments to aid alignment?

Seems there is tremendous potential at the joints to sever luft tape and or 3/16 halyard.

Nuther Question: Does anyone know where you can get a replacement for that little halyard THING at the top of the assembly? Mine is damaged.

L Jones

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome