SailNet Community - View Single Post - Put my windlass back together -- works great!
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 04-21-2010
sailingdog
Telstar 28

Slacker... get to work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
STILL WORKING ON THIS THREAD

PLEASE COME BACK LATER

I SAVE MY WORK SO I DON't LOSE IT (LIKE I DID AN HOUR AGO)

PLEASE COME BACK LATER

As you may know, I took my windlass apart several weeks ago.
See the sailnet thread here
See the anything-sailing thread here
Saturday I put it together and Monday night I put it back on the boat. It works great. And get this, it hasd a reverse. That's right, before it just made a whirring noise while the anchor free-falled. Now it will actually pulls chain up out of the locker. (On the hard now, right up against a building, so I didn't test it with chain at 2:00 AM. That will require some careful hand lowering of the anchor to start with until I'm sure it can't swing into the building.)

First, I tackled the rust on the engine casing. If you remember, thre was a significant amount of rust that prevented the o-ring from gettng a good seal. (I found out while mounting the windlass back on the boat that the engine is not supposed toget salt water on it. It was a sub-optimal installation. Of couse, they didn't have Maine Sail's instructions to follow with butyl tape - more on butly tape later.)

Engine case

I sanded the rusted area (also used a wire brush some). Here you can see me sanding. I used a vacuum to keep the particles from getting into the motor.

Then I used newspaper and electrical tape to mask it off for painting. Ther newspaper jammed up where the gap is seen, so I wasn't too worried about getting paint on the inside. I did it that way becasue I wanted the paint to get around the edge if possible.

Here is a shot of the motor ready for painting.

I used white Rustoleum. It's not the only preventive measure that I used - three total, so I think I ought to be good with that. I thought I grabbed my black Rustoleum. Much to my surprise, it came out white, even though the can said clear. I guess you have to go by the color of the cap.

After spraying it, I kept an eye on it. I didn't want it to hard before I had a chance to implement the next step. Here it is, righ by my back door.

I actually workond on the cover while timing the paint just right. I used naval jelly on it, let it sit, and then added watre so it could soak for awhile. I don't think th enaval jelly was strong enough to get the scorch marks off the inside of the case. (I think I must have a new motor, becuiase the motor has no scorch marks on it.)

While the paint was no longer really tacky, but not completely dry either, I unwrapped it and put the o-ring back on. I figure that the soft paint will mold to the shape of the o-ring and provide a good seal.

Here it is with the o-ring back on.

The cover fit over the o-ring. IN fact, I left it on for awhile while I did the next steps.

Now it was time to get the assembly underway. Here's a picture of the challenge:

I have a lot of picture that look like this. Cleaning and greasing, cleaning and greasing. Anywhere there was grease, I cleaned and.. well, you know.

PLEASE COME BACK LATER

I SAVE MY WORK SO I DON't LOSE IT (LIKE I DID AN HOUR AGO)

PLEASE COME BACK LATER

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome