SailNet Community - View Single Post - universal diesel issues....hot, leaky etc
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-22-2010 Thread Starter
degreeoff
Two many boats!

Question universal diesel issues....hot, leaky etc

OK so heres the deal, I had posted about how my 413hr universal m-25 started right up with a few gaskets and a good cleaning etc etc after I pulled it and found water in the oil pan (sat 1/2 submerged in water on the hard for about 1.5 years) well long and short is the oil was displaced up and protected the bearings .

Well I cleaned her, put some new gaskets and reassembled (only thing that did not come off was the head and front cover)

Had it on a engine stand/holder with no hot water heater bypass in line and she stared right up and the temp was 165 even and ran for about 45 min @ idle with a little reving but VERY little.

Put it in the boat hooked up the hot H2O heater etc and started her again, temp climbed to 230 as I thought all was well and she got shut down, filled the raw water again and vented the top of the thermostat with it running (alot of bubbling before a steady stream of coolant began to flow.) Temp stabilized @ 185ish but could not for the life of me feel hot water going into the H2O heater section valve opened or 1/2 opened.

I am concerned with the temp @ 185 under NO load....I believe I read in another thread 1 time that there could be vapor lock in the hot H2O circut......

could this be a reason for the 20 deg higher temps? If so how do I remedy this?

The leak(an oil leak) is an easy fix...i believe it looks like it is coming out the back plate of the injection pump, the one gasket I reused....DOOH BART!

thanks guys/gals......

Josh, less than a month away from a 30' catalina TR in the water!

I love to sail, coming from a Swordboat capt's loin one would think I'd of caught the bug long before now! Oh well, this ones for you Bisque...(My Father may he RIP)

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome