SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding to and from the dock
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 07-29-2010
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
I don't know how it would work on a tidal area, but on the lake, many people set up a "catcher". They run 1/2" line from the rear pole of the pier, to the main pier, tie it off in the center, about a foot out from the pier, then run it back to the rear pole on the other side. We have 25 and 26 footers, so I don't know how well that would work on a larger boat.
I love this idea

In the event of me ever returning to the UK though [unlikely] AND sitting in a marina [really unlikely] it is likely that I would be faced with a shared slip with a single finger mooring to tie up to, no poles so your idea then is a non starter.

But I really love this idea

I wonder if this would work. Instead of a pole use a permanent anchor in centre of the double slip running in to the midpoint of your side then back.some weights towards the anchor and a float close to the dock should keep things safe.

From Hoot Mon

If anybody tries this out I would love to know if it works. Nose in to the the padding, leave the engine ticking over in forward with a little starboard helm on, amble forward take the lines ashore and cleat off, return to boat and say "Finished with engines skipper".

Last edited by TQA; 07-29-2010 at 04:40 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome