SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel modification
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 08-03-2010 Thread Starter
Kwasiemoto

Keel modification

I have a cold molded 32' winged keeled sailboat. I think her performance is being restricted by the keel. I have had the boat 10 yrs. and have done much to dial her in, and now stand, more certain, then ever before, it is the stubby,winged keel, that needs changing to release her in the water.
My thoughts are, because I have a budget, to cut the wings off, not buy a whole keel, and add a section extending down a couple of feet, with a bulb at the bottom. Like a modern keel on a J boat, or what have you. My biggest concern is, the attachment of the extention. My current plan, which I am un sure of, is to cast the extention with j shaped bolts, and then drill the exsisting keel stub with verticle holes to match up with the extention, and horizontal holes in the stub where the top of the new bolts end. That is where I would washer, and nut the new keel extention in place. Not sure if that is a strong enough method. I will proably use an epoxy with fiiler in between the matching sections, and 5, or 6 1/2" bolts. The Boat You may know is Shadowfox, and is built for stout. I don't believe she can't handle the increased stresses.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome