SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shannon 28 v PSC Orion or Niagara 35 v Cape Dory 33
View Single Post
post #44 of Old 11-01-2010
olson34

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
We have the same traveller position on our 28' Irwin. I initially had concerns about the traveller getting in the way while lounging in the cockpit and being awkward for going below but neither has been a real issue. I actually now really like the traveller location because it's easy to trim from the helm and as has been mentioned makes it very convenient for single-handed sailing.
May I add that having a traveler on a bridge deck is great for a hand hold on windy days when entering or exiting the companionway. That loaded-up mainsheet tackle makes for a nice grip...
You can always move the car to either side for social hour once you are moored for the night.
Plus One on the comment that it helps short hand sailing a lot. Ours is a 6 to 1 purchase with a Harken cam cleat, and I can "snap" the sheet in and out of the cams from back behind the wheel.
(The high sheeting loads and requirement for a winch with a housetop traveler system make it a lot harder to use when you are short handed.)

LB

Last edited by olson34; 11-01-2010 at 10:29 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome