SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Americas Cup will be in San Francisco
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 01-02-2011 Thread Starter
L124C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
St. Francis doesn't need Ellison and it doesn't need the cup to remain the better organization. At the end of the day, GGYC is never going to be anything more than a plaything for Ellison and it will fade right back into obscurity(or insolvency) once Ellison finds a new way to flaunt his money. Frankly I think the biggest reason he's still aligned with them is that no other yacht club will have him.
I don't think you can even compare the two organizations, which is why I think the story is so remarkable! For example, when Ellison does events at GGYC, he has to import all kinds of infrastructure (tents, etc) that would be unnecessary at St. Francis. No matter How "nice" the tents are, they (or the GGYC for that matter) hardly convey the status of the St. Francis! There are other "upscale" YC's that I assume would have gladly sponsored Ellison. I think he went to the GGYC, because it's a stones throw from the St. Francis and he knew how much it would piss them off! Nothing to base that on (besides his reputation), just seems like the only logical explanation (and the one thats the most fun! ).
Any input on SF as a venue for 2013?

Last edited by L124C; 01-02-2011 at 10:21 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome