SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS 30? CS 33? - Please offer comments!
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 01-27-2011
Faster

While both are nice boats, the 33 is 'old school' Ray Wall CS (like the original 27 and 36T), the 30 is a Tony Castro design, as are the 34, 36M, 40 and 44.

All are good looking boats with good reps and generally very satisfied owners, and all probably overall a cut above the Mirages.

I think the original CS line are 'brawnier' boats and may have a slightly overall higher quality construction - but that's mostly a gut feeling rather than evidential. I know owners of nearly every CS model and they were all quite happy with what they had - including a Castro 40 that has done the distance from the Carib to BC via Panama and Galapagos. With the 33 I seem to recall there were models with and without a quarterberth.

The Mirages are a little 'frigidaire' in their finish - lots of white f/g liners, but Perry has worked his magic with an easily driven hull that results in a nice performing boat with a smallish easy-to-handle sailplan. Great cockpit, too.

This will likely come down to the individual boats' condition and amenities, coupled with your own gut reactions to what you see.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome