SailNet Community - View Single Post - Older Yanmar.. rebuild? replace? or?...
View Single Post
post #24 of Old 03-02-2011
LakeSuperiorGeezer

OK, this is getting beyond my expertise as to costs. Maybe someone else here on Sailnet can help us out. When one does it them self, the costs are a lot less and it is hard for me to judge. But in looking at BoatWorks: Sailboat Maintenance, Repair, and Improvement Advice You Can’t Get Anywhere Else, Selected from Boatworks Magazine by the Editors of Sail Magazine (how’s that for a name) removal of the propeller shaft and replacement of cutlass bearing does not look that complicated or expensive because there was no need to remove engine with re-alignment of engine. This repair might be difficult for someone not familiar with pullers and other tools. When I look at Nigel Calder’s books, re-alignment the way he shows it being done is simple and I think easier than the propeller shaft removal. Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems covered this or was it Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair? Maybe I can get to the library and check since I need to go anyway.

What are the symptoms that indicate that this work is required? Was there excessive leakage at the packing gland or vibration? Did you move the propeller shaft up and down, port to starboard, back and forth to see if the cutlass bearing is defective? And by the way, is it impossible to remove the propeller shaft without removing the engine? It was not necessary in the above article, but maybe yours is different.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome