SailNet Community - View Single Post - Re-bedding Windows: 3M-4200 v. Butyl Tape
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 04-07-2011 Thread Starter
saildork

Re-bedding Windows: 3M-4200 v. Butyl Tape

I'm Re-bedding the windows on my Catalina 22 using the kit from Catalina Direct. I replaced the windows into the new glazing channels using Dow Corning 795 from the kit and then into the frames, also using the DC 795 per the instructions. Now I'm ready to put the windows back into the cabin. The kit includes 3M 4200 for this job. The instructions call for the 'Don Casey method' of applying the 4200 and partially tightening the screws the first day and then completing the tightening the next day.

The old compound that I removed from the frames and the residue left on the gelcoat seemed more akin to butyl rubber than 4200. I could tell, however, that it came out of a caulking tube. I use the 'Maine Sail method' for mounting deck hardware using the butyl tape. It's great stuff and the best way I've found for mounting thru-bolted hardware. I'm inclined to use the butyl tape for the windows as well, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions out there?

Sailing isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome