Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 13
Well, the re-bedding job is done.
I used the butyl tape, and I think I achieved a good, water-tight seal all around each window. The butyl was very easy to work with, and clean-up of the residue was a cinch.
On the C22, the outside frame is pulled inwards by the use of screws that go from the inside frame to the outside frame thus bringing the two frames snug against the cabin sides. The screws are not exposed to the outside of the cabin, and they don't go through the cabin sides. I'm guessing that butyl will be a good choice for this job because of the flexing that most likely happens routinely on a boat such as the Catalina 22. When I removed the windows at the start of this project, two of the four windows had never leaked since I've owned the boat for 13 years. And the previous bedding compound (it might have been the original from the factory) was still gooey. Not bad for a 27 year old boat.
Our dockmaster here uses butyl tape for all similar applications, just as Maine Sail has discussed in previous threads. Time will tell if butyl tape was the right choice for this job.
Sailing isn't a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!