SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knocked down on way to Tahiti
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 05-20-2011 Thread Starter
killarney_sailor
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

My strange reaction to the knockdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Great write up Kill. Thanks. And here's to tethers!

Were the seas "bigger than they should have been" in your immediate area due to being on the edge of the storm? Which quadrant did the wave hit you on? Was it breaking?
I am not sure how large the seas should have been. They really were not too bad - perhaps 15 feet but well-spaced because the really strong winds had not been blowing all that long. The water surface was quite bizarre and fascinating-looking. Picture a giant sheet of Saran Wrap being stretched across the surface so that it was pretty smooth, except that the wind was tearing chunks of the surface away all round. We were hit on the port side a bit forward of amidships.

I am not the best one to describe what happened since I was tucked in along the side deck and very focussed on finishing the dinghy tie-down. My clearest reaction was that the water was very warm. I have talked to a few other people who have had similar experiences and they mention having similar odd reactions like 'Isn't that an interesting green colour" as the cockpit fills.

We helped the cockpit drains by bailing with one of the pots that had been our lettuce garden, only later did we realize we were bailing with a 'bucket' with four large drain holes in the bottom. Still seemed to work ok.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome