SailNet Community - View Single Post - Depth sounder with no thru-hull?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 08-14-2006
Gene T

It's easy, I have installed 3 of these. You can test the spot on the hull first by using vaseline to hold it in place. If it works, and I have never had a problem with any spot I have chosen, then clean all the vaseline off with alcohol and glue it in place. I have used epoxy but I prefer simple RTV, put a blob in the center of the puck and make sure there are no bubbles in it, then push it down on the spot so that the RTV pushes out on all sides. I don't like epoxy because you have to mix it up without any air getting in it, which is difficult. I know people who cut PVC pipe an angle in order to compensate for the angle of the hull, then use mineral oil to put the puck in. Very messy and unnecessary if you ask me. On the last boat I bought a fish finder with a transom mount transducer. I cut the mounting tabs off and glued it to the hull under the nav station on about a 10% hull angle and it worked great. This isn't rocket science and it is easy to test the spot first. Shooting at an angle is the only consideration as you might not get the best reading when healing the wrong way. But the beam angle is pretty wide and I don't think it is a big issue.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome