SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whats quieter Air X with spreco blades or Air Breeze?
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 07-19-2011
Tim R.

Brand new and never used are two different things. Don't expect bearings not to rust when sitting. It still could easily be a bearing problem. Bad bearings could cause the noise and also prevent the unit from spinning up to proper speed to produce the voltage.

I have an Air 403 and even with bad bearings did not vibrate. Sure, there is some noise from the blades but it is more of a gray noise than a whine. Note, this is with the Spreco blades. They are quieter than the stock blades but certainly not silent.

I checked with SW windpower and I seem to recall there is no upgrade for that unit. Your only choice is to rebuild which I am in the process of doing.

Either way you will be pulling the unit apart so you will get a good look at the bearings. The inner bearing on mine was loaded with rust as the outer bearing looked fine. I almost didn't pull them because I assumed the inner bearing would surely be in better condition.

Tim R.
Our Carina is for sale
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome