SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hobie 16 to a Mono Questions
View Single Post
post #23 of Old 09-14-2011
gregschultz

A few years ago I bought an older (mid - 80s) 20' trailerable trimaran (Haynes-Hunter Tramp). It is a blast to sail, the set up time is about 30 minutes and it is reasonably quick (best speed I've noticed on the GPS has been 15 knots). The cockpit is big enough to camp in, or you can drive it up on the shore and set up a tent. When I first bought mine I scoured the web looking for others and noticed some in Texas around the gulf, so you might be able to find one quasi-locally (well used, I'm sure).

The guy who responded with a Telstar has the hot lick - look at their website and play the video on raising the mast. It gave me religion! I just can't quite bring myself to plunk down the money for a new one. If I lived on the water it would be a different story.

What ever you buy, my advice is to replace the boat trailer lights and wiring, the hubs, bearings, bearing buddies, tires and wheels!! No matter what the previous owner says about their condition, I've replaced them all by the side of the road! Learn from my "slowness"!

Good luck with it.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome