SailNet Community - View Single Post - OBM service "standards"?
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-16-2011 Thread Starter
downeast450
Tundra Down

OBM service "standards"?

I have been doing my own service on all of my motors and engines for 50+ years. i enjoy it. Recently I inherited a 2 hp Suzuki obm that was running fine when I put it away 18 months ago. I tried starting it in May and got no spark at the plug so I decided to take it in and have our local dealer get it running. I was very busy and thought it would give some business to a local (Brunswick, ME) shop while I found out about their services.

2 weeks after dropping it off I got a call telling me the condenser and points were in. it would cost about $200.00 and would be ready in a week.

2 weeks later I got a call telling me they could not get the flywheel off and I could come get it to finish the work because they already had $70.00 in labor into it.

Upon arriving to pick it up I was told it wasn't ready and could I come back next Wednesday. They showed me the motor with the flywheel missing??

I returned to get it and they handed me a box of parts that included the flywheel and the rest of the motor with the gas tank loose and held only by the fuel line. They explained they would have had to bill me for another hour if I wanted it put back together!

When I go it home I discovered they had stripped the slots in both Phillips screws that adjust the points position.

I was not happy and shared that with them. I got a reply.."if you knew anything about obms you would know screws get stripped, I have stripped hundreds of them in my 35 years....."

I insisted on a refund of the $70.00 and have been promised a check.

It isn't the $70.00 that is so disturbing in all this it is the way they do business. Is this a norm? I haven't used a dealer in decades for anything and perhaps I am just out of touch?

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 09-16-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: sp

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome