SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort, NC to Tortola, BVI via Culebra, PR - January 6/7/8
View Single Post
post #79 of Old 12-25-2011
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
S/V Auspicious

I would sail anyhere with Captain Dave. His skills are incredible and his knowledge and willingness to help as well as give his information to others is priceless. Hihs activity in organizations to preserve our sailing areas as well as the Bay are very important Someday I hope we do get to take that trip together either in the same vessel or as a group.

As you stated so well many of the "lions of the Chesapeake have a great amount of blue water and offshore experience. The comment was meant as a swipe, but actually was a complement to all of us who keep our boats here. We enjoy harboring our boats on the beautiful Chesap[eake where we can wake up in the AM on a creek next to bald eagles and multi colored leaves. The condittions on the Chessie sometimes are far more challenging than the open water sailing offshore due to its shallowness and land configuations and how they interact with the water and winds. Thats not to say that there are perils and large adjustments an offshore passage requires, especially to insure a degree of safety to the boat and the crew which are not found in the confines of the Chesapeake with land no more than 15 miles away at any given point. Lots incidents however occur when coming into the landfall when in difficult conditions vs out at sea.

Many lions have been to the Carribean, New England, England and points further away from home. Our slip mate next to us just got home last spring from taking his 62 Sundeer on the ARCA around the world rally.

I am thinking of having a pennant/ burgee made to hang from our flag halyard
of a lion now to display proudly all the time

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome