SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort, NC to Tortola, BVI via Culebra, PR - January 6/7/8
View Single Post
post #80 of Old 12-25-2011
lancelot9898

Merry Christmas all!

Dave your comments made me think of a conversation I had several years ago with a couple from New Zealand who had circumnavigated and lived aboard for the summer there in Solomons MD where I too lived aboard. I enjoyed hearing about their voyages and asked just where was the worst conditions during your circimnavigation. They encountered numerous gales sailing out of Japan, but to my surprise they said the very worse was the conditions where the Potomic meets the Bay. I too have been there in 35 knot winds with sails down under power with the prop coming out of the water in the steep chop. With my current boat I would be sailing rather than under power in those conditions, but it still remains one of my worse conditions too.

The comment from the know it all here reminds me of comments made from the mouth of the south (Ted Turner) when he spoke unkindly about the seagoing abilities of the Great Lakes sailors. Whenever someone speaks thinking that they have see it all, nature will end up biteing them in the ass.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome