SailNet Community - View Single Post - composting toilet report
View Single Post
post #327 of Old 01-12-2012
MedSailor
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoden View Post
Dust from my power miter saw. It consists of some unknown species of pine and a wee bit of red oak, both kiln dried.

I have a bag of potting soil and one of some cat litter made from wheat gluten or some such to try next.

Personally opposed to peat moss use baauseI know where that comes from and how it is mined. Some very memorable experiences come from peat bog exploration so I hate to see them dug up.
Not only is peat moss non-renewable and damaging to the ecosystem it is harvested from, when we used it it came with bug eggs that hatched into a bunch of compost-larva. Nearly put the wife off the whole project!

Coconut coir is what we use. Compressed bricks expand many-fold to form a large quantity of a nice dirt-like substance. When they're dry and compressed they're easy to store, light weight and field expedient for boat storage and usage.

Coconut Coir:www.cosmiccoir.com - Coco coir, Coconut coir, Coco peat, Hydroponics, Best coco coir, Growing media, Clean super washed, Coconut peat, Coco pith, Coco coir chips, Coconut husk chips

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome