SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bats in the sails
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 02-16-2012
flyingwelshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
We were cruising about 5 miles offshore headed to a port ~30 miles away on Lake Michigan last summer and noticed a bat circling our rig. He ended up landing on the mast about 25' above the deck and then occassionally dive bombing us before finally settling in on the sail track. As soon as we got about 1 mile out from port, I used the boat hook to gently nudge him away.

We had departed before sun-up so I assume he had spent the night high up on the mast (possibly in the mast track) and was disturbed when we raised the sails. I've got a couple of pictures I'll post later.
Cool!

I wonder if you installed a bat box if the bats would stay with your boat? I imagine they would sleep in the box during the day and come out when you are at anchor.

Might be a solution to the mosquito problem?

I don't know how hard it would be to clean guano off your deck though.

Is 'Bats in the rigging' the nautical equivalent of 'Bats in the belfry'?

1989 Hunter 30'
Southern Georgian Bay

Visualize the vastness of the oceans; the infinity of the heavens; the fickleness of the wind; the artistry of the craft and the frailty of the sailor. The oneness that may be achieved through the harmony of these things may lead one to enlightenment. - Flying Welshman

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome