SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bats in the sails
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 02-16-2012
SlowButSteady
Senior Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by safira View Post
How many have had the bat problem in thier sails? I noticed the droppings near the mast a few days ago and raised the main, and lord and behold I had at least 10 of the little rodents in the main makeing it there home. So instead of killing them I made a thing called a bat box. Hopefully this will keep them out of the sails, also put some moth balls in the sail folds.
Last night sitting in the pilot house I watched them come and go into the bat box for a couple of hours. I am not sure but i think I now have 20 of the little critters moved in. I will not put running water in for them no matter how much they want it, he he he have to draw a line someplace!!
Cool!! Insectivorous bats (the vast majority of the species in N. America) are one of the best bug-controllers around. They eat a fairly good fraction of their own mass in flying insects every night. Just make sure that, as with all wild critters, you leave any apparently sick ones alone.

Never forget them. Do something to prevent it from happening again.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome