SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bats in the sails
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 02-16-2012
MedSailor
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Good advice for pretty well ALL wildlife.
Perhaps but the rabies prevalence in species other than bats is much MUCH lower. The CDC is so trigger happy about bats that they even recommend post-exposure vaccination for those who have been near a bat and can't be sure they bat didn't touch them. Apparently bats can bite and you don't even know it. See an excerpt below from a medical textbook I use daily at work.

Be safe,
MedSailor

Photo of how small a bat bite can be:

----------------Copyright 2012 UpToDate Online----------------
Bat exposures The most common rabies virus variants identified in infected humans in the United States are bat-related; therefore, any bat exposure needs thorough evaluation. (See 'Animal rabies epidemiology' above.)

The risk for rabies resulting from an encounter with a bat is often difficult to assess because of the sometimes imperceptible bite inflicted by this mammal (picture 1). From 1990 to 2007, a total of 34 naturally acquired bat-associated human cases of rabies were reported. In 15 cases, physical contact was reported but no bite was documented, and in 11 cases no known bat encounter was reported at all [4]. However, it should be noted that by the time rabies is diagnosed, getting an accurate history is usually precluded.

The ACIP makes the following recommendations regarding bats:

Postexposure prophylaxis should be considered when direct contact between a human and a bat has occurred (see 'Animal rabies epidemiology' above).
Postexposure prophylaxis is not necessary if the person was aware of the bat at all times while in an enclosed space and is certain that there was no bite, scratch, or mucous membrane exposure.

If the bat is captured and can be tested for rabies, postexposure prophylaxis in persons without direct exposure can await the results of prompt testing. If uncertainty about the need for prophylaxis still exists, the local public health authority should be consulted.

The ACIP also recommends that postexposure prophylaxis should be considered for an individual who has been in a room with a bat and who may be unable to rule out any physical contact. Such individuals might include: 1) a sleeping person who awakens to find a bat in the room; 2) an unattended child; 3) a mentally disabled person; or 4) an intoxicated person.
------------------------------------------------

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome