SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another Maryland Fee Increase
View Single Post
post #12 of Old 02-17-2012
SVAuspicious
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Bob Gaudette, director of Maryland DNR's Boating Service talked about all these wonderful projects. He talked of keeping the waterways ice free during the winter. WHAT! Are you kidding me? The only ice breaking done by DNR is done for commercial fishing interests--not recreational boaters. Recreational boaters have their boats on the hard this time of year and that's where they've been since cold weather set in.
I won't argue the cost effectiveness but I can say for sure that DNR does break ice in Back Creek Annapolis in winter. I saw one of the boats go by (I don't remember the name, but it was named a after a man). I was able to get out to go sailing (which I do all year round) through the open channel.

So FACT: there is DNR ice-breaking and FACT: not all recreational boaters have their boats pulled in cold weather and FACT: some of use our boats year round.

I'm not sure breaking ice for me is a good use of tax payer dollars, but that isn't what you were talking about.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome