SailNet Community - View Single Post - Over my head; CE and CLR
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-20-2012 Thread Starter
CalebD
Tartan 27' owner

Over my head; CE and CLR

It is winter in the northern hemisphere and I have a bit too much time on my hands; hence this question, or questions.

I'm no boat designer but there are a few of you out there who know a lot more then I do (you know who you are).

I am trying to help a fellow Tartan 27' owner who is converting his sloop rigged T27 to a yawl rig. My friend is old enough to possibly have met Olin Stephens and is apparently is looking for information on calculating the CE (center of effort) and CLR (center of lateral resistance) for the T27.
The quick question is: Is there an easy way to do this?

My instincts tell me this is the realm of the architect (S&S) and that they likely did these calculations for the T27 in the design phase of the boat. I looked on the S&S website but found very little pertaining to the CE or CLR of the T27. Would my best bet be to contact S&S seeking an obscure document that relates to my boat and just pay for it?

I am fairly certain that my friend still has the mast height of a sloop rigged T27 where the yawl rig diagram shows a slightly lower mast height as one might expect: TARTAN 27 YAWL sailboat on sailboatdata.com

That is all I've got for now.
Thanks in advance.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome