SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Range Radio Communication
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 02-21-2012
smurphny
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I do have a pactor modem (came with the SSB) but do not currently have it hooked up. That could be an option, but then I need to use a computer on the boat- not somthing I really want to do. Plus I would miss the sound of her lovely voice when I am out on the lonely sea!
It surely would be nice to be able to talk to people when out of cell phone range. The main benefit I see in having the SSB is to download weatherfax maps right to the computer. That's something I do on a set schedule every day but does require a computer. I picked up a refurbed Panasonic Toughbook for the boat. It's a power hungry bugger so I have to really watch the use time with the SSB (which is also a power hog) but it does survive well in a salt water environment, being "splashproof". It also has a "sunlight viewable" screen. I use it with C-Maps/Sailcruiser as well, mounted right up under the dodger. Don't know what I ever did before all this electronic stuff.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome