SailNet Community - View Single Post - Technology can aid safety....
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-21-2012 Thread Starter
MedSailor
Closet Powerboater

Technology can aid safety....

Normally I'm old school when it comes to safety. I DO believe that balance, and non-skid on deck are better than a man overboard alarm for example.

Sometimes though, the continuous innovation, constantly decreasing costs and miniaturization that have come with the information age make for some really nice products that can add to our safety. Take, for example, how small and cheap PLBs are now.....

I found this on the net today. It's a VHF radio (wiith DSC) and a GPS in a compact, waterproof unit. Oh, and it's got a strobe. Since it's designed for divers they're SERIOUS about their waterproofness. It's rated to a depth of 425ft.

This would be a nifty item to have clipped to one's lifejacket if you went overboard.

Imagine if you are a cruising couple, being able to direct the boat back to you when waves or darkness would make it hard to spot you, never mind that with only one left on board they'd be looking for you from the cockpit. "I'm at your 2'oclock. Ok now I'm right in front of you."

Or imagine the worst, you're a single hander and go overboard. Call the coasties and give them your GPS position. Or just use the DSC button.

MedSailor

Nautilus Lifeline VHF - GPS Radio for Divers

Video here (sorry don't know how to embed a video in a post)
Nautilus Lifeline: A Scuba Diver

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome