SailNet Community - View Single Post - Technology can aid safety....
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 02-21-2012 Thread Starter
MedSailor
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
How is this different than a Standard Horizon HX851?

VHF with DSC and there is a strobe light (albeit not as good as this one looks). It floats and is waterproof.

I guess the diver one is useful because its probably not buoyant and wont float if you dive...

I guess if you go overboard, a PLB would be more useful...but in all honesty, if they're at the point of doing a search based on your gps signal to SAR, its more than likely a body recovery operation rather than a rescue.
I've looked at that radio several times. That IS the closest equivalent. The big difference I can see is that this unit as a GPS built in and the Standard Horizon doesn't have a GPS but does have things like weather radio and more of your regular VHF features.

From a pure safety device point of view I think the addition of the GPS is a big plus. How nice to tell the coast guard, or a nearby vessel, exactly where you are. It would make a great compliment to the boat's main radio, especially for a single-hander.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome