SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solar Panel demands
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 02-22-2012
killarney_sailor
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

That seems very high

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkzdad View Post
With my 46 Beneteau I am guessing most demand on electrical system is a full day of sailing using auto pilot, fridge, nav system, running lights etc. coud produce a 24 hour day that could potentially require 500+ amp hours. Does that audit sound way off?
Not sure how you could be using that many amp-hours. What does your auto pilot draw? If it averaged 6 amps X 24 hours, that is 144 and I can't imagine it would use 6 amps. Fridge should be no more than 150. So if take those two at 300 a/h there is a lot more to be found.

Changing your nav lights to LEDs is well worth it, especially if you are using lights (3) at the deck rather than a trilight. Even with a trilight you save much a lot. We also changed our anchor light to an LED since that is getting used so much.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome