SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Range Radio Communication
View Single Post
post #22 of Old 02-22-2012 Thread Starter
casey1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Sorta funny. Although I have my ham license, I don't "use" it.

I have a couple of handhelds for my marine use. One a Yaesu FT-270, the other a Icom M72.

The Icom is easy to use for novices, the Yaesu is easy to use for me, has been hard modded and receives and transmits on any HAM frequency, marine frequency, commercial frequency, weather channels, etc. None of that is illegal BTW and all programed in for quick use.

As a plus, a HAM handheld is usually cheaper than a marine hand held. The Yaesu, I think I paid $150, the Icom $200. Both are waterproof BTW. You can easily mod them yourself or pay about $80 (or less) to have it done. The benefit, IMO, is I can tx and rx on a much wider range than holding just the ICOM. The mod was done with a solder gun and a magnifying glass cause I can't see shiet and took about five minutes.

FWIW, I had a CB license as a kid (no longer needed) and as I said have my HAM license. I'm sure that one is going the way of the CB license too (as referenced by the elimination of the Morse requirement). As a Libertarian, I'm not a big fan of Gov't regulations/requirements. Just FYI. Take if for what it's worth...
Is the Icom M72 a VHF/UHF model? I have an old Drake TR-7 modified to transmit and receive from 0- 30 mghz. On the boat I have an Icom 701 marine SSB which is programmed to transmit 1.5 to 27 mghz so this unit is good for both Marine SSB and Ham bands- works well with its auto tuner and back stay antenna.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome