SailNet Community - View Single Post - CT Shore Marinas
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 03-16-2012
mstern

Re: CT Shore Marinas

Aha, I didn't know you wanted the NL area. If you really want a do-it-yourself place, you should look into yacht clubs. Many can't afford or don't want professional services. Have you thought about joining the Shennecosset Yacht Club? They are in Groton, right next to the Avery Point UConn campus. I don't know their membership rules, but if they are like the yacht clubs I know, they could use new members. I bought my boat from a guy there, so I am vaguely familiar with the facility. It seemed nice, but not at all fancy. I recall that the club itself had no repair or maintenance facilities, so it must be a do-it-yourself place. Right next door is Pine Island Marina. I was there once, and they seemed to be a more full service place, but maybe they allow do-it-yourself work too. I do know that the Brewer's chain of marinas (which includes the aforementioned Pilot's Point) has been moving towards requiring that all work done on their premises be done by their employees. I have a friend who keeps his boat at one of their Massachusetts locations, and they won't even let him paint the bottom of his boat. They say it is because of environmental regulations, but it seems more of a forced way to direct business towards their own coffers.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome