SailNet Community - View Single Post - Spinnaker halyard for a furling jib??
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 04-05-2012
GeorgeB

Re: Spinnaker halyard for a furling jib??

I wouldn’t use the spin halyard for the jib on my boat for the following reasons. Chafe: The spinnaker block is above the headstay which it will chafe against if used as a jib halyard, you also run the risk of getting a cotter pin for the headstay impaled in the halyard and jamming it. The other big risk is, in normal operation, the headstay stabilizes the upper furling car so the sail can be furled. Often, riggers install line restrainers on the mast to make the proper fairlead to the upper car. Using the spin halyard will tend to rotate the car out of alignment with the tack which opens the possibility of jamming the furling gear (next to overrides, this is the most common cause of furler jams). Another concern is spinnaker blocks are not designed to carry the loads required of a headsail. Breaking the sheave wheel on that block could jam the halyard. If it was my boat, I’d buy a and thread a replacement halyard. And if I couldn’t afford that, I would re-reeve the spinnaker halyard as a proper jib halyard. If the jib halyard is completely missing, I’d go up on the main halyard to do this repair. Or, you can motor your boat over to your new marina.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome