SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any C-Head Users?
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 05-26-2012
amelia

Re: Any C-Head Users?

Our new C-head arrived recently, and now occupies the space of honor in our home-made houseboat. It's shorter than either of its main competitors, thus more comfortable to sit on, especially if the overhead is low. At $500, it's also half the price, with shipping included. It seems to be sturdily built, and was exquisitely packaged. The installation was quick and easy, and even before the ventilation hoses were installed, it was ready for immediate use. The liquid waste container is a simple gallon jug of the sort water and milk come in, thus easily disposable when it becomes discolored or stinky.
Downsides: Both the solid waste bucket and the liquid waste jug are smaller than either competitor's, and thus need to be emptied more often. We don't find that a problem; the urine is less stinky if the jug is emptied every day, (in an, ahem, ecologically-sensitive fashion, that is, in an onshore toilet, on remote shrubbery, or -- look over both shoulders on a dark night-- you know...) and the solid waste, a week's worth, is simply dumped into a larger 5-gallon bucket with a ventilated lid, to dry further. When that 5-gallon bucket is full, it's time to dispose of the contents in a dumpster or on its own dedicated compost pile in the back 40, and start over.
It seems to have been well thought out. I think I wish I had gone with the regular round seat rather than the elongated one... the round seat would have fit the containers beneath with less gap. So far, we are pleased-- not to have spent the extra $500 to $700. We shall see how long that pleasure lasts.

Last edited by amelia; 05-26-2012 at 11:01 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome