SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparatus for moving rain water in to boat with vent feature
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-01-2012 Thread Starter
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Apparatus for moving rain water in to boat with vent feature

I've got this thing on my deck which looks like some kind of fancy vent. I'm not sure exactly what it is or if all the parts that it's supposed to have are still here. Right now it seems to function as a device which collects rain water and then traps it from going back out. There's this thing that pushes up from the inside. Is there some kind of support that's supposed to keep it pushed up that broke off?

I noticed it was dripping so later on I went on deck and saw that it has been sealed with something like silicone. So I thought oh that's good it's sealed now where is the water coming in from? Oh wait! The water goes in the screen at the top and since the thing is sealed it has no way of going back out. Why on Earth is it sealed? Is there some kind of cover that is missing? The previous owner didn't seal up any of the other leaking deck fittings so why would he have been the one to seal this up? Is it supposed to be sealed like that?

Look at the pictures in the thread attachments or the links:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak_device1_small.jpg (62.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg leak_device2_small.jpg (51.8 KB, 32 views)
steel is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome