SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rolling up the Genny
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-10-2006 Thread Starter
RayMetz100

Rolling up the Genny

I took out a Cal 2-25 with a roller furled 130? genoa today. The wind near Seattle was dead in the morning and we ended up motoring to Kingston. On the sail tacking back to Shilshole, the wind picked up to whitecaps and about 3 foot waves for a breif period so we decided to roll it back up.

We tried pointing the boat into the wind to roll it up, but had a hell of a time because the boat kept going in irons and then doing pirouettes as we struggled to pull on the furling line. It was quite an adventure with the boat spinning around this way and that, getting the rails near wet each time she leaned. We finally got it in and made it back to the marina with just the main. We didn't have to reef it or anything.

After it was safely tied up and I handed the keys back to the staff at my club, they commented about the whether. It had calmed down considerably by then. I breifly told them we had an interesting time rolling up the headsail in it, and how I was trying to point it into the wind. My old instructor asked if I wanted some advice, and said that it's better to run down wind so it's blanketed by the main before trying to furl it. That makes sense to me. What do you guys think?

I found a plot of the winds. I haven't done the GMT conversion, but maybe it was blowing harder at 1300PST:

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome