SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full throttle needed to start Yanmar 2GM20F
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 12-20-2012 Thread Starter
73Morgan

Re: Full throttle needed to start Yanmar 2GM20F

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Cold start procedures for a 3GM30F(an indirect injection diesel) is similar..full throttle as described in the workshop manual which retards timing. Decrease throttle after diesel starts.

DO NOT use any starting type of sprays/fluids as this procedure may result in bent con rods. I personally know what bent rods look like...
If your engine was built after 1997 that might explain the difference. My manual covers the 1, 2 & 3GM models.
Normal start positing is at medium speed.
The exception is starting in cold weather the throttle should be in high speed with the decompression handle in the decompression position, start cranking and push the lever to the compression position, after it starts pull back to medium speed. There seems to be a conflict because there is a "caution" which states to pull back to idle immediately when the engine is started at high speed. We all know you should not rev a cold engine any more than necessary . The injection timing being delayed at high speed is also there.

I would actually be happy if the engine started right away on a 80 degree day, and came right back to idle without stalling.

Last edited by 73Morgan; 12-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome