SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seattle - I am looking for a liveaboard slip
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 01-14-2013
JeffBurright

Re: Seattle - I am looking for a liveaboard slip

Howdy,
I went through the process of finding a liveaboard slip in Seattle a few years ago, so I can tell you what I remember. I called around to all the marinas I could find in the span of a week or so, and it was a bit of a chicken and egg situation regarding knowing the length of the boat and having the insurance already settled. I was calling before I'd figured out what boat I would have, so you're already a leg up on me there, but if you don't have insurance already you might have some difficulty.

Pretty much everywhere I called didn't have liveaboard slips available, so we were all set to go clear to the marina on the south end of Lake Washington on Ranier where the moorage was cheap and the liveaboard slips were plentiful (at least at the time). Unfortunately it wasn't really the neighborhood I wanted to live in - not much within walking distance.

Then, as we were driving to the marina to sign papers, my wife got a call from the marina manager at the AGC building (on south Lake Union where the McCormick and Schmick's is) saying that a liveaboard sublet had just come open. We hadn't even remembered calling AGC, so I can only take this as a solid favor from the heavens.

I lived in the sublet spot for a few months and got to know the manager at AGC, and after being a good tenant she was willing to let me into a liveaboard slip of my own. It was a great location within walking distance of downtown, with free parking. Who could ask for more?

For Shilshole, have you looked at the bulletin board right outside their office? Often they have sublets, some of them liveaboard I think, which is how I've heard a lot of people worked their way in, hopping from one sublet to the next until their number came up.

That's all I know. Good luck in your search and make sure you invest in a space heater!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome