SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seattle - I am looking for a liveaboard slip
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 01-14-2013
miatapaul
Old enough to know better

Re: Seattle - I am looking for a liveaboard slip

Don't count out going to places in person as well. Be neat, clean and well dressed. I have been told no outright over the phone, but when I showed up in person they said something could be worked out. So I would go pound on the doors so to speak, assuming your clean cut and what not. Lots of places don't want the hassles a liveaboard can bring, but if you present yourself to be an upright person, doors sometimes open. Don't get me wrong I am a strong proponent of living aboard, but there are a lot of derelict boats with people living on them and the few rotten apples spoil the whole barrel sometimes.

It can almost be like a job interview be prepared to offer info if it is to your advantage, like your job if that will make you look better. It is important to have at least a backup plan before buying the boat, cause you can't just put it anywhere! Some folks even end up starting out on a mooring ball, till a liveaboard slip come up.

I have to say my experience is east coast and mid west, but seems to be true everywhere.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome