WOW! This Alberg is pretty cool for this price. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-18-2017 Thread Starter
s/v Tiger Lily

WOW! This Alberg is pretty cool for this price.

If this Alberg was closer, I would buy it. Seems like a great price for a loaded boat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352181443445?ul_noapp=true

Severna Park, MD
Pearson 35 - s/v Tiger Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-18-2017

Re: WOW! This Alberg is pretty cool for this price.

A classic. That interior is beautiful. All the cabinetry is clearly custom made, after-market stuff. This owner is smart; I've seen lots of similar boats, i.e, older boats that have had considerable upgrades, priced way out of market. Let's face it: no matter how nice the upgrades, no matter how much time, effort or dollars you invest in a 1964 Pearson Alberg 35, in the end you are still trying to sell a 50+ year old boat. It's only worth what someone will pay for it, not what you would pay for it, or how much you put into it.

I see the owner put in a very low reserve price of $1000; he(she) is either anxious to get rid of the boat, or very realistic. The auction is over in 38 minutes. Think I'll stick around to see what happens!

Some local friends were selling their Alberg 35 a few years ago; he is a carpenter by trade, and their boat was a well-loved, well-maintained beauty. I politely demurred on their efforts to get me to bite, but man, what a classic design. To me, the Alberg-styled boats are what sailboats should look like. But I know me well enough to know that aside from the emotional jolt of looking at the boat, it wouldn't fit me or my sailing. I don't have the time or patience to maintain that much brightwork, and since I primarily day sail with only an occasional overnighter, I don't need a 35 footer. And since I keep my boat at a dock (something the Admiral sort of insists on) not a mooring, I need to be able to back up safely and reliably; not a key feature of the full-keeled Alberg designs. Still, what a beauty....
post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2017

Wait a minute, I just noticed who the seller is: it's BoatAngels, a charity that auctions off donated boats. So scratch my previous post comments about how realistic this seller is.

I guess we can only speculate as to why someone would donate a boat this mint....

post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2017

It just sold for $10,680. I watched the amount go up from $7,500 in the last minute of the auction....Still a good deal.

1968 Cal 2-30
Sandpiper 2
MDR
post #5 of 6 Old 10-18-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
It just sold for $10,680. I watched the amount go up from $7,500 in the last minute of the auction....Still a good deal.
A good but not a great deal. Boat Angel adds $300 to that price as a fee. And I noted in the full listing that the rudder needs to be dropped and the post replaced. Unless you are doing the work yourself, add another $3000-$5000 for that.

If you had asked me how much that boat was worth based on the pictures, I would have said $15-17,000. Someone got it for an effective price of $14-16,000. A good, but not great deal.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-20-2017
Captain Obvious

Beautiful and classy.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in